2026-09-04

Variance

In some sort of "want to write random things" period. Been a while.

Thought of the day:
As much as I can see, the difference between going deeper into the lore/universe/politics/world/ etc of Star Trek vs that of Star Wars is that the prior offers endless hope through difficulties, whereas the latter is depressively real and realistically depressive. Probably says something about the diehard fans of both. Surface-level "seen the movies" knowledge does not count. 
Expansion on that:
Tolkien summed up would fall into the second category. Discworld into the first. Hitchhiker has to get ripped in two according to the time of life of Adams whilst writing. Potter - first. Alice - second. Everything by Asimov - absurdly hopeful. Still haven't read enough past Ender to make the final judgement there. Dune likely into the second, but it's been a very long time since I read it. Narnia can go and kill itself off like it so wants to, therefore also assuredly the second. Earthsea - also a doomed world. And I'm also going to throw Acotar into the list and in the first category despite it desperately trying to pretend to be deep. What else... Poirot, regardless of a trail of dead bodies, definite beacon of hope. And the Elderlings, during reading of which I've probably cried the most in total, also belongs in the first. Cassie Clare's stuff - leaning towards the second, Roth's - first. Zelazny's everything - second, but sort of hiddenly so. Buffy - second. Everything by Lindgren automatically into the first. GOT should be an equally automatic second, but for some reason I hesitate here - yes, disasters and terror everywhere, but things still work out somehow?
So, looking at this, the second bunch is clearly more impactful, but boooy would we lose it without the first to act as balance.
Afterthough:
Should have made this into two properly formatted lists or sth...

On another note:
We seem to have accumulated an army of honeys from various origins and/or harvests. This got mentioned in a conversation on the street corner and as a result, we're having the first not-just-us honey tasting tomorrow. Wondering how to make that not be a disaster when I have no idea whether these people can taste any differences at all, or whether they can eat the bread we're planning to use as base, or whether they are sure they don't have allergies etc... Just too many other things up in the air at the moment to have organised this properly. Oh well, at least I'll find out how many different ones we actually have at present.

Cheers,
Hedi